Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fredericks Brown

Fredericks Brown, made up of vocalist Deva Mahal (daughter of blues musician Taj Mahal), keyboardist Steph Brown, and guitarist Michael Taylor, is a band that creates sophisticated music with lovely harmonies and sweet melodies. Hailing from New Zealand, you can distinguish their cultural heritage embedded in their music. Their live performance at Rockwood Music Hall (Stage 2) on Saturaday night was electric, and every lyric sung by Deva was vulnerable and honest. With a rockish and soulful progression, their song "What Lies Within" first verse hits you with genuine words: "Tell me what you're putting on the table, 'cause I'm so tired of laying my heart on the line / You better think 'bout taking me for granted, 'cause I ain't afraid to pack my bags and leave this all behind". The lyrics will take you there. With elaborate lyrics, volcanic vocals, and brillant beats, Fredericks Brown will have you hooked.


Albums:
- Land of Plenty (2011)
- Out of the Rain (2010)

Website: FredericksBrown.com

1 comment:

  1. Yooo, that's a powerful voice. I love the blues influence. The music is very groovy, haha.

    ReplyDelete